Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Leaning on the Scriptures

The last 48 hours have been some of the most stressful and trying times I've had in a very long time. My dog was sick, I was awake all night, I needed to pass an exam in order to graduate, and I had two other exams to study for as well. I was way way overwhelmed. I was wondering why all this had waited to happen just hours before I would be done with school and officially a college graduate. I was a mess.

I knew I needed direction and something to hold on to if I was going to make it through the next 48 hours. Heavenly Father blessed me by leading me to this little gem:
Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many, but endure them for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days. - D&C 24:8
Seriously, this is why I love the scriptures. I was in a complete downward spiral. Charlie was sick and had to be taken to the ER at 5am. I was struggling to grasp the stupid math concepts. I was scared I wasn't going to graduate. My life was falling apart in front of my eyes so quickly that I was losing control.

Then I read that verse. My entire mood changed in less than 30 seconds. I wrote it down and repeated it to myself right then and when I got up this morning and again when I was sure I wasn't going to graduate because I had failed. It didn't seem like it at the time, but somewhere in my heart I knew that I was going to make it though. I also found comfort in this little saying I picked up from I don't know where:
Fear is the absence of faith. 
Which is 100% true. Every time I say it to myself, I am reminded of how much my faith centers me and keeps me grounded. Whenever the fear of the situation threatens to overcome me, this reminder always pops into my head without fail.

I am so thankful for the Scriptures and the words that give me my strength. I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. I am so thankful for all of the things that I have been blessed with and am so thankful for the opportunity to live this amazing life.

I'm starting this new amazing chapter in my life. In June, I'm moving 1,600 miles away from the only home I've ever known and starting over. I have so many things waiting for me in Utah that I can't believe it. A chance for a new beginning and a possibility to have everything I've ever wanted.

No comments: