Tuesday, April 19, 2011

There Is A Mouse In My House! :(

Thats right. You read that title right. Last night, I had the privilege of welcoming a mouse into my apartment. I was not pleased.

It was about midnight and I was all curled up in bed doing some reading for class when suddenly I heard a CRASH in my spare bedroom. Now, I didn't really think anything of it because my cat loves to mess around in there so I figured she just knocked something over. But then, I heard this scuffle going on in the hallway. I got out of my warm snuggly bed, flipped on the hall light and screamed.

My cat had this cornered in the hallway:


 Apparently, this mouse really likes screaming because it took off towards me with my cat close on it's trail. To my horror, it booked it into my room and behind my door.




I pulled on a sweatshirt and did the only thing I could think of: go to my neighbor upstairs, who happens to be a guy (yep. I'm sexist. I wanted a guy to handle this situation.) He grabbed his broom and marched into my apartment towards my bedroom door. A few pokes later, the mouse went running out towards my bed. My supposedly macho neighbor screamed, jumped and threw the broom on the floor. Awesome. Now there's a mouse under my bed. I suddenly had flashbacks to that Sex and the City episode when Carrie had a mouse in her apartment and she was woken up by it crawling across her face.

 I. Was. Hysterical.

My neighbor couldn't do much more, so he went off to bed. I decided to call the person who I thought would know best how to handle the situation: my dad. My dad's response? LAUGHTER.

So lets review: It's about 1am now. I have a mouse under my bed. A parent who is laughing at my hysterically and I'm convinced the furry little menace is going to crawl into bed with me. I was not pleased.

I decided it would be a good idea to go to the only open grocery store near my house (in a very shady neighborhood) to get mouse traps. The 'no see' kind. Welp. They didn't have any. All they had were the old fashioned ones and let's be honest, there was no way on this green earth that I was going to be disposing of a dead mouse on my own.

I slunk home, disappointed and slightly scared. I was also exhausted. So, I armed myself with my dog in the bed with me and took the covers and tucked them around me as tightly as I could. I think Cleo hunted the thing the entire night, so I kept waking up whenever she knocked something over. Not fun.

After class, I went to the hardware store and bought those 'no see' mouse traps, slipped a little peanut butter in them, and put them under my fridge and in my spare bedroom.

Let's hope this was the first and last time Little Miss meets a mouse...

No comments: