Sunday, July 3, 2011

Broccoli Noodle Cheese Soup (aka heaven in a bowl)

I hate broccoli. I mean, I loathe it. But for some reason, this soup is the most amazing thing you could ever make. It's my mom's recipe (thanks mom!) and she's been making it forever and ever. When we would go to soup dinners during lent when I was little, her's was ALWAYS the first to be gone. It's that good. 

ingredients: 
10 oz. bag of frozen broccoli (sorry Brittany, but there shouldn't be any spears in this soup) 
8 or 10 oz. bag of fine egg noodles (the really really skinny ones) 
6 cups water
6 cups whole milk (you can replace half of the milk with half and half to make it even creamier aka add on the calories) 
1 small onion (finely diced) 
8 chicken bouillon cubes
8 oz. of Velveeta cheese (cubed)
2 tablespoons butter 

(before I start I need to stress that it is VERY important to make sure you do these steps in order and for the time it says. I mean exactly in order or it'll turn gross.) 

instructions: 
1. melt butter and saute the onion until translucent 
2. add water and bouillon cubes and stir until they're all dissolved
3. add frozen broccoli 
4. cook for 3 minutes
5. add egg noodles
6. cook for 3 minutes 
7. add milk (or milk and half and half if you like it creamy)
8. cook on medium heat until warm (DO NOT let it boil. I repeat NO BOILING) 
9. add Velveeta cheese in small cubes (so it melts faster and evenly)
10. stir occasionally until melted
11. simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally 
12. take it off the heat
13. voila! you're done! 

notes: 
you can either eat it right away or let it stand for about 30 minutes to thicken it up. This soup gets better the longer it's in the fridge. Trust me on that one. 
to REALLY thicken it, cover it and let it stand in the fridge over night and then warm it up the next day. Heavenly 

No comments: