Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Momma's Day!

This gorgeous woman right hurrr is the best mom in the entire world (and she just happens to be holding the cutest baby in the entire world.)


I know everyone says that. But seriously, I have the best mom ever. She's put up with me for over 22 years and let's just say most of those years were so not walks in the park. She managed to keep our world as normal as possible as her world was falling apart. I honestly don't know how she managed to shield Kelly and I from the divorce like she did. But, she did an amazing job

She raised 2 kids on her own. For the first 13-ish years of my life, my dad was always at work and rarely at home. As a result, my mom was a single parent even when she was married. Then they got divorced and she kept on truckin'. She put one kid through (hella expensive) private school on her own (my dad didn't see the value of a private education. Yet he was totally cool with going to the parents meetings, hockey games, and school functions. Okay. Enough with the dad bashing.) 

She watched as her oldest daughter was torn apart by 'friends' and her first love. She was there to pick up the pieces time and time again after I had foolishly gone back to the source of my pain. 

She encouraged both of her daughters to chase their dreams, no matter how far from home it takes us. What would you expect from the first woman accountant at her huge world wide accouting firm to return after she had a child? (yeah, that's right, my mom was a total bad ass and trail blazer.) "You can't do it" is simply not in her dictionary. 

She would yell at me when I would get down on myself and tell me to "not talk about her daughter that way." 

She supported me when I chose to convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints even if she was scared and didn't know what it meant for me. She drove 2 hours to be there for my baptism. She welcomed the Missionaries into her home, cooked for them, and talked with them, even though she doesn't share the same beliefs. 

She was the one that suggested I move to Utah. Even if it meant having one daughter 6 hours away in Chicago and the other 1,600 miles away in a state she'd never even been too. (I'm still nervous that she thinks I'm going to become a sister wife. MOM! I really just love the show, I swear no sister wives!)

She deals with me calling her a bajillion times a day (I counted once. That bajillion number is legit) and talks with me at night when I'm letting the dog out so I don't get kidnapped. She's driving 1,600 miles across the country with me to help me get settled in my new home. She's encouraging me to follow my dreams and listen to my heart even though it's scary and she doesn't know where I'll end up. 

She bought me an iPhone for graduation. I mean, that right there is 'Mom of the Year' Award material. Am I right or am I right?! ;) 

So when I say she's the best mom ever, I mean it. She's sacrificed so much for us. Even though we but heads once in a while , she is still my biggest cheerleader and would give her life for me or my sister. She is the most caring, funny, ridiculous, light hearted, selfless person I have ever met and when I have kids one day, I pray that I can be half the mother to my kids as she is to me. 

Mommah, I love you more than words can express. And I'm usually really good with words. I hope you know how much you mean to Kelly and I. We'd be completely lost without you. Thank you for all that you do. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds truly amazing. You are blessed! I have a fabulous mama, too! Lucky us!
*Thanks for the thoughtful comment on my blog. I am *so* interested in hearing about what other people think, especially about religion. My faith in Jesus Christ is not up for debate by any means, but I truly enjoy learning more about what other people believe.
I love your blog, too!