Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Trouble With Graduation

On Saturday 1,300 of my closest friends and I walked across a stage in a sports arena and completed a journey. 

We graduated. 

The day was stressful though. Everything that could have gone wrong, did. My mom, sister and dad were driving across the state that day to see me graduate. At 1:45 they still weren't in town and I was annoyed. I had to leave to get down to the arena and didn't want to go alone, but they were late. I was so annoyed that they couldn't have been bothered to show up to my graduation. I stomped. I pouted. I whined. I was a brat. (I'm totally not proud of my behavior either.) 

3:00 rolls around and I get a text from my sister. They were there and sitting in one of the farthest seats away. It didn't really matter because they had made it on time though. I then received a text that went something like this: "We got a flat tire. That's why we were late. Mom didn't wan't you to worry so we fibbed a little." Two things crossed my mind: 1. THEY LIED TO ME. and then 2. They were totally right in lying to me. I would have flipped. (clearly, I have a flair for the dramatic. But I would have lost it. I hate with things don't go the way I plan them. I'm working on it.) I felt bad for being such a brat to my mom and dad when they were dealing with this crisis and tried their hardest. I should have been patient with them and trusted that Heavenly Father would get them there on time. And he did, didn't he? 

A friend came and picked them up. Her husband took the car to the dealership while the friend drove everyone to the arena just in the nick of time. After the car was fixed, the friend drove the car to the restaurant that we were celebrating at and gave the keys to my mom. How cool is that?

It took a little while to find my family afterwards, because the streets looked like this:
Basically a mad house. But find them I did and we slowly made our way up a few blocks towards the restaurant where we were meeting everyone else. 

I got to celebrate with my family, my best friend, and two families from Church. The atmosphere was amazing. The food was amazing. The company I was in was amazing. I kept thinking to myself, "This is all for me. I am so lucky." 

Despite the hiccups, the day was perfection. It might not have felt like it at the time but looking back, I will always remember this night as the night my real life began



No comments: