Thursday, May 5, 2011

Standing Up For Myself

I've had a weird night. I have another (private) blog that I post very personal things on. I have also come to have some very close relationships through that blog that I've been writing since I began the discussions with the Missionaries in October. 

Literally 10 minutes after I posted about the "Kind Hearted Blogger Challenge" I was faced with a dilemma. Long story short, someone on my blog made a very callous and rude comment about something that happend a few nights ago. He accused me of not being a good LDS. I responded last night and he responded with a short, curt apology. 

I decided to respond to his apology because it made me angry. I wrote him a long response and tried to keep it as civil as possible. I think I did a very good job but something was bothering me. I had just pledged to be a nicer blogger and here I was not being very nice. 

Or was I? Is there a difference between being nice and polite to someone and standing up for yourself? 

3 comments:

ashley said...

I have been trying for DAYS to figure this out, what is right and what is wrong. What I did find is if you live in utah their is something called cyber harassment, where someone who does something in order to embarass you or cause you to feel horrible. Basically it's illegal to be MEAN on blogs.. AWESOME right? Let me find you the link and email it to you, its a Class B misdemeanor.

It's sad whent he government has to tell us what is moral and what is rude!

Jacky said...

I feel like there is a fine line between standing up for yourself and getting mean about it. I usually hate confrontation but I just felt the need to stand up for myself in that moment.

Unfortunately I don't actually live in Utah (yet! I'll be there in June!) so there isn't much I could do now. Not that I would want to. I think he learned his lesson and was put in his place. But I really think laws like that are needed, especially in the anonymous culture that is fostered on blogs and such.

I would LOVE to read the article, Ashley. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

If you stand up for yourself firmly and respectfully, there is NOTHING wrong with that.